Friday, January 7, 2011

Be the change you want to see in the world

That is the title of a book I got a few years ago. It was set up to be read daily, with little things to do or think about each day in order to live a better/healthier/more satisfying/environmentally conscious/happier/simple life.
   
Commitment and me, well, we don't fit together very well. I read to the entries daily for about a week, then gave up. The book has been on a shelf since. I rediscovered it in December when I was going through an organizing kick and set it aside. I started reading it daily, right before bed. I've done it every day. Yes, I do realize that it is only 1/7/11, so I have only stuck with this for a week so far, but I do have a good feeling about it.

I guess you could say that it was a New Year's resolution. I resolved to read from that book daily. I made a few other resolutions as well. Yes, they fell in line with the turning of the calendar page, but it wasn't intentional. I've been reflecting on my life as I live it and have come up with a few things I would like to try to do (or not do). I'll share these resolutions one at a time. Here's the first of many.

Continue to create

In 2010 I picked up a crochet hook again. I had crocheted before was was limited to only two stitches. I'd stare at patterns and I just couldn't understand the abbreviations and diagrams. Imagine my surprise when I opened a pattern book and it all made sense. I made gifts for all of the women in my family. I made blankets, scarves, coasters, shawls, a purse, coffee cozies, some dolls and a basket. I'm hooked.

In the past I have made cards, bookmarks, jewelry, pottery, cross stitch, candles and soap. I've never stuck with any one craft long, but that's okay. I know that I feel better when I create. I love to look at or use something that I have made. So maybe I will give up on crocheting this year, maybe I won't. But if I do, I resolve to find a new craft.

I have been using this great website, Ravelry.com to keep track of my yarns, hooks and projects. If you knit or crochet, you'll love it. My user name is sjurban and you can see my profile, with photos of recent creations, here.

No comments: