Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Book Review

A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan


 
I read the synopsis of this book a few times. Each time I decided to put the book back on the shelf and move on. But I kept seeing it pop up again and again. I finally decided to give it a shot, if for no other reason than to make it go away so I could focus on other books that I actually wanted to read.

I'm glad I finally picked it up. It is not really a novel. Each chapter is written differently, one is even a Power Point presentation. The chapters are connected by threads; either characters, places or times.

It is something different, which is (almost) always good. The writing pulled me in and I found the characters well developed and interesting. The author did a nice job of connecting the stories. You know how every now and then you will find out that you know someone who knows someone who also knows your sister? The sort of thing that makes you think, "What a small world?". Well, this whole book is like that. (I even made a chart as I was reading it to keep track of all those connections.)

The only complaint I have is the last chapter. It just plain wasn't good. It could have been left out completely and I would have been happier with the book.

No comments: