Sunday, September 6, 2009

My new diet

I'm starting a diet tomorrow. The last month or so I have been preparing for the diet by eating better. I have been keeping the house and the office stocked with fruits, veggies and low fat crackers and yogurt. I have been trying to make healthier meals for my family for dinner as well.

Dinner is the hardest, I am tired by the time I have worked a full day and it is so much easier to just order in or use a frozen, prepared meal from the store. Now that I am taking another class, I lose some of my evening time because of studying and the homework serves to further tire me out. It will be hard, but I am determined that I am going to lose weight.

We have our big vacation booked for July, we are going to Alaska for 6 days. Christopher wants to climb a mountain. It is a big deal to him that the three of us do this together. I will never be able to do it for/with him at this weight. I am also thinking about all of the pictures that we are going to take while we are there, I don't want to look like I do now in those pictures.

I am actually reading a diet book, The Beck Diet Solution. I have never read a diet book before, but I like the way this one is set up. The Doctor who wrote the book says that a person should pick their own exercise and eating routine based on what works for them, she doesn't tell the reader what to eat or how to exercise. I like that. What the book focuses on is the mental piece. In order to lose weight, you need to be able to think about food, exercise and yourself differently. You need to realize what is going on in your head right before, during and right after you eat and try to change things mentally so that you will have the willpower to stick to your diet. This method can be used for things other than dieting, I can already see how I will use it for homework.

So, that's what I am doing. I'm going to try to track my progress here. I won't tell my weight, but I will tell how much I lose or gain and how often I exercise. So, if anyone reads this, try to send some willpower my way, I will need it.

No comments: