Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Day

Christmas morn, we woke up, made egg bake (nom nom nom) and opened presents. Ashley screamed with excitement over the camcorder and Rock Band 2. I screamed with excitement for the socks, hand cream, coffee and book. Christopher didn't quite scream, but seemed pleased with his books, tea cup and journal.

Rock Band 2 took a while to set up and get ready. Then we found out that the disc was all scratched up. A BRAND NEW GAME!!!! Since it's Christmas day, we couldn't return it. We ran to Blockbuster (thank goodness for places that are open on Christmas Day!) and rented the game til Tuesday. By then, we should be able to get the disc replaced. We rocked the suburbs. And we don't even live in the suburbs. That's how good we were. My throat hurts from all the singing.

We had chili and corn bread for supper and watched the 3rd Librarian movie. Christopher and Ashley are up to bed, and I am picking up a bit and reading the news, then going to bed to read. It was a good day.

Since I started celebrating Christmas, after Ashley was born in 1996, I have struggled over the holidays. Not growing up celebrating Christmas was odd. We didn't even use the day as an excuse to get together with family, we just pretty much sat around and bitched about how all the stores were closed because of all the damn Christians. Christmas was awful for me as a kid. I'm still learning. The first 2 Christmases Ashley and I had were just about presents. Then we met Christopher, got married and became damn Christians ourselves. We suddenly had this huge family with these great Christmas traditions. I loved it and hated it at the same time. Holidays make me bitter. This was the first year that we skipped Christmas with Christopher's family. The weather has been awful and we just had a bad feeling about traveling. I thought it was going to be awful. I was just starting to get used to these big family Christmases and now we were going to be home, just the three of us, with no traditions of our own.

Christopher took over. He took us to the mall on Christmas eve, we made our lists, checked them twice, exchanged them and shopped for each other. We went home and played games and watched the X Files. We didn't do much, but we were together, really doing things together. It was great. My husband saved Christmas! At least he made this one great. I will always look forward to our big family Christmases for the future, but this little Madison Urban Christmas will never be forgotten. :)

No comments: