Monday, November 24, 2008

True Blood, Thanksgiving and Ashley

I just watched the "True Blood" season finale. I hate to say it, but I love that show. It is trashy and mindless and has vampires. The first episode didn't do anything for me, but I thought that I would try another episode or two. After the second episode, I started to get it. The acting was supposed to be bad and the human characters were supposed to be pathetic. The show is based on a series of novels by Charlaine Harris. I got the first book and I am enjoying it. It's a bit different from most of the books I read, I tend to want to learn something from the books I read, but this book is a guilty pleasure. It, like the show, is so bad that it's good.

We will be heading out of town for Thanksgiving. We will leave on Wednesday when Ashley gets out of school and get home around 9pm. It will be great to see Henry, he is 5 months old now. It will also be nice, although hard, to see Grandpa Urban. We have only seen him once since Grandma died, and this is the first holiday without her.

Ashley and I went shopping yesterday at Kohl's and today at Sears. Sometimes, she can be a selfish little thing, like most 12 year olds. Most of the time though, she is a great kid, and very appreciative of what she has. Today, I bought her an $80 jacket. It was originally $160 and was half price. It is down and it's a really nice jacket. We started looking at jackets that were on a $25 rack, and when none of them were what we were looking for, we just moved on to other racks. Ashley didn't know how much the jacket cost until we got to the checkout. She said, "Mom, the coat is $80? We can put it back." I told her that I knew how much it was and that it was okay. She looked at me and said, "Mom, thank you." I just about melted. Moments like that make me feel like I am doing something right as a parent. Ashley knows the value of a dollar and is thankful for the things she has.

No comments: