Monday, November 11, 2013

It's a wonderful life

Today was a wonderful day. That's right, wonderful.  Not just good, not great - wonderful.

I had the day off for Veteran's Day so my dear husband took the day off as well. After taking Austin to school we cuddled up on the couch in the living room.  Our living room couch, or upstairs couch, is so big and cushy one can not help but feel relaxed and content when sitting on it. It is extra long, extra wide, and has a nice tall back.  Any day that I am able to sit on this couch is a good day. So, there we are, me on one end of the couch, hubs on the other end with our feet touching in the middle. The wood stove is going, so it's toasty warm and the fire looks great. We have some quiet music on and we are drinking coffee. C is reading and I am going back and fourth between reading and messing about on my iPad. Hadley, our kitten, is curled up by C. Pollie, our older cat is resting on the back of the couch near me and Khaleesi the Corgi is sleeping on the floor. Then it starts snowing these huge pretty flakes. 

We take a break from relaxing so C can add more wood to the fire and start warming some apple cider with mulling spices. While he does this, I put a turkey in the roaster. We read some more, then I took a nap with the pets while he played video games. 

When I woke up, we went to the basement to watch a few episodes of A Game of Thrones. Then we ate our turkey dinner and watched a few more episodes (we are finally caught up and I am eager for season four.) Now, C and Khaleesi are sleeping in bed with me and the cats are running through the house playing. The chickens are tucked into the coop, Ashley is safe in her dorm at school and Austin should be home soon, then I will drift off to sleep too. 

I really needed a day like this one. I have lots of ok days and plenty of good days, but a day this perfect is rare. It reminded me of how blessed I am. Early in our relationship, when we dreamed about our future, we imagined a cozy little house with a fireplace and a couple of polydactyl cats and a Corgi. We imagined our daughter in college. We have those things now, after years of work and lots of struggling. We didn't quite imagine we'd have a teenage boy or chickens and we sure hoped we'd be in better financial shape, but everything has worked out and we are where we are meant to be for now. 

The next time I have a bad day, I will be able to think back to today and I know the memory will bring a smile to my face. 


No comments: