Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 goes out with a bang!

Our dotter is having a New Year's Eve party tonight. Currently, there are around 25 teenagers in our basement.  The music is pumping, the Mt. Dew is flowing and the pickles are being tossed around the room. There is a steady stream of kids coming up from the basement to use the bathroom, no doubt thanks to the Mt. Dew.  The hubs and I are sitting on the living room in front of the fire listening to NPR, playing cribbage and taking breaks now and then to snack on homemade mac and cheese, taco dip and veggies and to read a bit. There is no place else I would rather be to ring in the New Year.

Instead of reflecting on 2012, my head is in 2013 already. Our dotter will be graduating form high school a year early and heading of to college at the fresh, young age of 17. We will be empty nesters and ages 36 and 38. We've always been parents together, the dotter was 2 years old when we met, so we have never been  together as just a couple. That will be a new path for us. I'm looking forward to it, but it is scary at the same time.
I'm going back to school myself (again). I received a promotion last January so I took a year of from school to get used to all of my new responsibilities. I start up again in two days. Another thing that I am looking forward to but afraid of all at the same time.
I'll be taking a vacation with my parents this year. Just me and my parents. The last time we took a vacation together was 1986, when I was in 4th grade. Neither mom or dad has flown before, so it's a big deal for them. We will be going to New York and Vermont. Hubs, dotter and I enjoyed our trip out east so much that I decided to do it again and share it with my parents. Again, excited but scared for this experience.
I strongly feel that 2013 will be a year chock full of tests; tests of patience, tests of relationships, tests of loyalty and tests of finances, just to name a few.

No comments: