Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Things My Geek-Brain Makes Me Do

I was browsing over at GeekMom and found this article. The opening really hooked me, "Geek-brains are wired differently than non-geek brains. We hyper-obsess over strange things, we remember obscure details of inconsequential events, we have little to no shame when it comes to the things we geek out over."
YES! This is me! I wear my TARDIS ring proudly and the talking Tribble on my desk makes me grin everyday at work. I am geek! I'm going to take the concept and run with it. I'm a geek, my brain does funny things and I LOVE making lists.

  • I will judge you based on your grammar and spelling. It's petty and little of me, but that's too bad. 
  • I create spreadsheets for everything. I have spreadsheets for books read, books to read, movies, television programs, grocery store prices and so many more.
  • I compulsively list things.That spreadsheet of books read that I just mentioned has every book I have read since for the last 11 years. It includes, title, author, year published, month and year read, number of pages, primary setting, whether the author is male of female and key words. And yes, it is all graphed out as well.
  • I don't just play games on facebook, I dominate. Every game I play, I will play until I am in the number one spot among my friends. I imagine that all of my friends are trying to do the same thing. 
  • I have a Jean-Luc Picard action figure in my car. Some people have guardian angels in their cars, I have a Starship captain. I do talk to him when I am driving alone too.
  • When I am driving and any song from the soundtrack for Burnout 3 comes on, I want to drive faster and takedown other motorists.
  • I often look around me and plan out my Katamari's path. For example, on my desk at work I would start with pencils, then go to my mouse, my owl figurines, action figures and plush Stormtrooper before moving onto phone and keyboard.
  • Anytime I hear the word two, I think either "I want my two dollars!" from Better Off Dead or "I've got two pickles" from The Little Rascals.
  • My family hates watching movies with me because I blurt out movie trivia. If I don't know anything special about a film, I will search out trivia as we are watching. I have now been banned from having my laptop open while we are watching movies. 
  • I often pretend that I am on film. I've done this since I was very young, way before The Truman Show, but it's kind of like that. If I know that people are watching my every move, I will always put my best face forward and think before I speak or do things. I've found it also makes me smile more. 
So there you have it. 

No comments: