Friday, January 28, 2011

Book Review




When my daughter was younger, we read "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" together. It was a cute story and for a YA book, was well written. I didn't pick this book up because I liked the author and the "Sisterhood" series. I picked it up because I read the synopsis and it sounded like it could be a good story. It was only after I checked the book out from the library that I realized it was the same author. Even now, after finishing the book, I find myself thinking that it was a good book coming from a YA author, but if I compare it to adult books, it wasn't that great.

The concept is great, a bit like "The Time Travelers Wife", but instead of traveling through time, Daniel is just reborn again and again. He is different from most because he has the memory, meaning he remembers his past lives. He falls in love in the 500's in Asia Minor and spends his lives searching for his soul mate. Even though her body is different with each incarnation, he can "see" her soul.

Unfortunately, a great concept does not mean a great book. I found the characters shallow. I didn't really like them or think that their actions fit with their personalities. Near the end, the book took a turn that just didn't make sense. I think Brashares tried to leave the story open for a sequel, but these characters hardly held this book together. A sequel would not be a good idea.

1 comment:

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Thanks for telling me about this book. It is one I have not been to sure about and now, pretty sure I will pass on.

I posted today a linky for the Where Are You Reading participants and you can add your January recaps on this challenge if you would like.