Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thanksgiving

There is a little Facebook status update thing going around where you are supposed to say something that you are thankful for each day in November. This has gotten me thinking about my life. It is not hard to think of things that I am thankful for, I have so many blessings in my life. It is an interesting exercise in that it actually makes me pause and think about all that I am grateful for.

Everyday life takes so much out of us. Our minds are often cluttered with thoughts of work, school, our kids school, our spouse's work, our bills, our dirty dishes, messy house, pets, grocery shopping, cooking, and at this time of year, Holiday travel. When we get a break we plop down in front of the TV or with a book and lose ourselves in the fiction.

In our family, every night before dinner we say grace. Our grace includes something that we are thankful for that day. Unfortunately, we have gotten into the habit of saying that we are thankful for family, friends, weather, pets and food. While we are all thankful for those things, it has become so automatic that we just say them so we can start eating.

I am going to try to encourage my family to actually think about something that they are grateful for, rather than just saying our automatic answers. I hope that they will find as many things to be thankful for as I have.


Here are just a few of my status updates this month.

- I am thankful for freshly made and canned cranberry sauce,

- Today I am thankful for reconnecting with Kelly, Jason, Tracy and Tammy on Facebook. They are cousins who I have missed and I am excited to catch up. :)

- I am full of appreciation today! I am thankful for so many things that I can't just pick one today. :) Today I am thankful for having an intelligent, mature, well spoken, well read and musically talented daughter. I am also thankful for parent/teacher conferences when I get to hear the teachers say these wonderful things about her.

- I am thankful in general for our public school teachers. They do so much for and care so much for our kids. Our teachers at Whitehorse care so much and they make sure the kids know it. Thank you.



No comments: