Thursday, June 18, 2009

Our Vow Renwal Ceremony


Yesterday, June 17, 2009, Christopher and I renewed our wedding vows in preparation for Christopher's adoption of Ashley.

There were 23 people present at the church for the ceremony. 23 people who love us and have supported our marriage and family throughout the years. When we were first married 9 years ago, we had a civil ceremony at a chapel. Not too long after the wedding, we found our church home and we have always wished that we would have found our church before we got married so we could have had the wedding there. It was so nice to have this ceremony in our beautiful sanctuary.

The ceremony started with Ashley playing one of her own piano compositions while Christopher and I skipped down the aisle together. Then Ashley joined us in front of Pastor Dave. After the Pastor announced our intentions (at our insistence leaving out any reference to marriage being between a man and a woman only) Ashley read a beautiful poem about Love. Here is the poem that she read:

Love Poem
by Roy Croft

I love you
Not only for what you are,
But for what I am
When I am with you.

I love you,
Not only for what
You have made of yourself,
But for what
You are making of me.

I love you
For the part of me
That you bring out;

I love you
For putting your hand
Into my heaped-up heart
And passing over
All the foolish, weak things
That you can't help
Dimly seeing there,

And for drawing out
Into the light
All the beautiful belongings
That no one else had looked
Quite far enough to find

I love you because you
Are helping me to make
Of the lumber of my life
Not a tavern
But a temple.

Out of the works
Of my every day
Not a reproach
But a song.

I love you
Because you have done
More than any creed
Could have done
To make me good.
And more than any fate
Could have done
To make me happy.

You have done it
Without a touch,
Without a word,
Without a sign.

You have done it
By being yourself.

We said traditional vows, then said our own personalized vows. Christopher's were so sweet. He basically said, in a very poetic way, that he loves me and that he would marry me every morning if that's what it would take for us to be together. He is such a sweetie!

I decided to totally geek out for my vows, since we have had the serious, sentimental vows already and this renewal was meant to be light and fun. My vows were a mash up of Star Wars, Star Trek and Doctor Who quotes. Some of you have asked to see them, so here they are:

"Christopher, you are the tenth Doctor to my Rose, the Han Solo to my Leia Organa, the Riker to my Troi. The Force is strong with us.
Ten years ago, this life that we now have, this love, was a dream that became our reality and spread throughout the stars. In plain, non-Vulcan English, we've been lucky.
I promise to protect you from carbon freezing and the powers of the dark side. I will be as loyal and devoted to you as an Ood.
Christopher, when I look into your eyes, I see the stars, the worlds beyond, the vortex of time itself, the whole of infinity.
Nothing, not even the Dalek Prime can exterminate these feelings.
So, Alons-y my love. Let us continue on this great journey through hyperspace and to the far reaches of the galaxy. Hey, it's not impossible, just a bit unlikely."

After the vows, Pastor Dave read a scripture about adoption and family. Then he asked our guests to surround the three of us, hands joined, to pray for us. It was so powerful to be in the center of a circle, surrounded by your loved ones, while they pray for you.

Next, Beth and Marge came up and signed the papers as our witnesses. Then the Urban family skipped down the aisle holding hands.

We had a small receiving line and got lots of hugs and well wishes. Then we all headed up to "The Prime Table" for the dinner. It is not a fancy place by any means. It's a family owned Greek/American diner and we have probably been there as a family over 100 times. We had full use of the banquet room and everyone was able to order off the menu. My mom and dad picked up the tab for everyone, which was very appreciated. We sat and ate and talked for about two hours. The food was wonderful, as was the company!

I want to thank those of you who attended, the only word I can think of to describe how I felt when I looked out at all of you is "heartwarming". To those of you who couldn't be with us in person, I felt you there in spirit. Thank you all for your support!

The ceremony was short, simple and silly. Just like Christopher and me. :p

No comments: